We Forge the Future
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas. In short, we forge the future.
Facts and Figures at a Glance
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft undertakes applied research of direct utility to private and public enterprise and of wide benefit to society.
- Service sector
- Public administration
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, the largest organization for applied research in Europe
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, the largest organization for applied research in Europe
- At present, the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft maintains 66 institutes and research units.
- The majority of more than 22,000 staff are qualified scientists and engineers
- €1.9 billion annual research budget totaling. Of this sum, €1.6 billion is generated through contract research. More than 70 percent of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft’s contract research revenue is derived from contracts with industry and from publicly financed research projects. Almost 30 percent is contributed by the German federal and Länder governments in the form of base funding.
- Research centers and representative offices in Europe, USA, Asia.